“Growing up, I was no stranger to gun violence — I witnessed it personally and my neighbors were victims of it. Gun violence tears whole communities apart. We need to pass common sense measures that will protect our community.”
Gun violence is a public health crisis. Congress has failed to do its job to keep families safe. We must respect the second amendment and protect law-abiding gun owners’ rights while dealing with the reality that gun violence and mass shootings have created an atmosphere of terror for Texan children and families.
In Congress, I will:
- Fight for universal background checks, which nine out of ten Texans support, including the majority of gun owners.
- Push for red flag laws, which would prevent firearms from landing in the hands of violent criminals and domestic abusers.
- Promote gun safety education in Texas public schools, like our own Kempner High School and Pearland High School, to prevent the unspeakable tragedy of school shootings.
- Push to close the loophole that allows individuals to buy guns without a background check from an unlicensed dealer at a gun show.
- Promote safe gun storage practices. All firearms must be properly secured for owner protection, and the safety of any children in the home.