“I worked in the U.S. Foreign Service for fourteen years, alongside the bravest Americans I’ve ever known. Our country needs to better support veterans, who put their lives on the line to protect this country and its founding principles.”
Our government must make the transition to civilian life as painless as possible for our nation’s heroes. This means expanding access to job training, child care, healthcare, and counseling.
In Congress, I will:
- Fight for reforms to the Transition Assistance Program to better equip our veterans with the tools to enter the workforce and secure their futures.
- Work to implement solutions to the military’s problems of sexual assault to honor SPC Vanessa Guillen.
- Reject efforts to privatize the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Increase health coverage for veterans. In TX-22, many veterans have to travel over 30 minutes to hospitals that will accept their health insurance. This must change. We need to decrease VA hospital wait times and expand telehealth services.
- Fight for better mental health services for our veterans by expanding counseling and treatment services for TBIs.